Situated across Broadway from the Manitoba Legislature building, the Law Courts consists of several buildings. The original architect was Samuel Hooper, who was the provincial architect from 1904 until his death in 1911. Hooper was succeeded as provincial architect by Victor W. Horwood, who had been assistant provincial architect, and it is Harwood that is credited with the final plans for the building. During 1912-1916 there was a overcharging scandal involving the building of the Manitoba Legislature. The same contractor was to build both the legislature and the law courts, he was jailed and Horwood was replaced. The new provincial architect was John D. Atchison who oversaw the completion of the law courts in 1916.
The building cleverly addresses its corner site using a drum and cupola. One of the main facades features a broken pediment bearing the coat of arms while the other facade has an entrance reached by a long flight of steps. The main entrance is on the corner underneath the cupola.