Erected for one of Western Canada’s largest financial institutions, the Great-West Life Assurance Company which was founded in Winnipeg in 1891, this building is a fine example of the French Beaux-Arts School style. The building was originally four storeys tall completed in 1909 with another four storeys added later in 1922. The building continued to be occupied by the Great-West Life Assurance Co. until 1958-59 when the company built their new headquarters on Osborne Street opposite the Legislature. The ground floor has some fine detailing in the entrance hallway, with large impressive columns in the former public office. The main staircase through the upperstories is also very attractive.