The design was the result of a competition held in 1927 for a new library and town hall extension. Constructed between 1930 and 1934 in a traditional neoclassical form. Inspired by the Pantheon in Rome, the library is a round building fronted by a large portico. This two-storey portico forms the main entrance on St Peter’s Square, and is fronted by Corinthian columns. Around the second and third floors is a Tuscan colonnade, topped by a band of Portland stone.