Built on a twin pinnacled spur about 250 feet high, jutting out of a thousand foot red rock wall, the building of the Chapel was completed in April 1956. It was inspired and commissioned by sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. Richard Hein was chosen as project architect, and the design was executed by architect August K. Strotz, both from the firm of Anshen & Allen.
The American Institute of Architects gave the Chapel its Award of Honor in 1957. In the sculptor’s words, “Though Catholic in faith, as a work of art the Chapel has a universal appeal. Its doors will ever be open to one and all, regardless of creed, that God may come to life in the souls of all men and be a living reality.”