Definitely not the most popular building in Dublin but for many years it was the tallest, Liberty Hall is the headquarters of the union SIPTU. It was built on the site of the earlier Liberty Hall which was a rebel stronghold in the 1916 Easter Rising. Started in 1961 and finished in 1965, Liberty Hall has 16 storeys and is 195 feet tall and the top floor pavilion commands a great view over the entire city – a viewing deck that was open to the public in the late 1960s.
At the time of its construction, it was fitted with non-reflective glass which gave the building a much-more translucent effect. However a bomb explosion in 1972 blew out most of the glass which meant that the glass was replaced but with a reflective variety and the viewing deck was closed. The building has lost a lot of its original impact because of this. The top floor pavilion makes a ‘nod’ of acknowledgement to the nearby and vastly superior Busaras with its angled cap and mosaic tiles on the underside.
Due to be replaced by a new tower designed by Gilroy McMahon.