Architects: Étienne Gaboury
These are the fourth and fifth churches built on this site since 1818. The fourth church or cathedral was built in 1908 and destroyed by fire in 1968. The interior was lost and the two towers which flanked the rose window of the west front were removed. It was designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Marchand and Haskell. The new cathedral, designed by renowned French-Canadian architect Étienne Gaboury is placed inside the walls of the previous building, allowing most of the old nave to form a courtyard to the smaller church. The new church is large and spacious with a soaring wooden roof. The altar is toplit by windows hidden from the congregation.