Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

776 – Round Tower, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

round_tower_lge

0522

Well preserved 8th century round tower that acts as a focal point for the area. Acknowledged as one of the oldest and best preserved in the country, it is 84 feet high and has its original conical cap. The foundation of the first monastery is attributed to St. Cronan, otherwise called Mo-Chua, who lived possibly in the 6th century. The monastery is first mentioned in 776. It was plundered by the Vikings in 832.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Dublin South
1789 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland The present St. John's Church was built in 1789 and substantially extended in 1854 by Joseph Welland. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished...

Close