“This country-house has been erected for Mr. W.U. Allen, J.P. for the county of Bedford. It is built of Weldon stone, and red local tile roof. The main feature of the house is the large central hall, which is carried up to the roof ; it is panelled with oak ribs and ornamental plaster ceiling. Across one side of the hall is the gallery, which gives access to the first-floor bedrooms, and this is reached by a grand oak staircase and arcading with columns and carved caps, designed in keeping with the style of the house. All the floors, panelling, and other woodwork are of oak, which has been toned down to a dark rich colour. The reception rooms lead out of the hall, and are treated in different styles, special care and attention being given to the mantelpieces and decoration. The drawing-room has a handsome marble mantelpiece, which was designed by the architect in the Italian style. The kitchen and offices are well provided, and all lead off a well ventilated and tiled corridor. Stables, lodges, and farm buildings have been erected, and the grounds and gardens very well laid out by Messrs. Cheat and Son, of Crawley. All the buildings are lit with electric light. The contract for the work was given to Mr. S. Forster, of Kempston, and the whole of the buildings hare been designed by the architect, Mr. George P. Allen, of London, and carried out under his supervision. ” Published in The Building News, July 29 1898.