The Dominicans were established in Carlingford in 1305 with the friary being dedicated to St. Malachy. Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII it became the centre of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans and Franciscans in the 1670s. It was resolved in favour of the Dominicans by Oliver Plunkett. However the friary itself was subsequently abandoned in the 18th century by the Dominicans to their present location of Dundalk.
The remains today consist of a nave and chancel divided by a later 15th century tower. Also, there are possible remains of some domestic buildings to the south like a mill, mill race and mill pond.