Designed by English architect Thomas Smith who came to work in County Louth in the early to mid 19th century. Now in use as extra accommodation for the nearby Grammar School, it was built as a hospital to serve the people of Dundalk and the county at a cost of over £3,000. Smith designed it in a restrained neo-Tudor style with a central entrance-way flanked by two recessed ranged with ground floor arcades. A simple building, it has a quiet elegance. The building is distinguished by the sandstone arcade to the principal east elevation and the striking chimneystacks to north and south elevations. A centre bay plaque has the inscription “LOUTH HOSPITAL 1834 THOMAS SMITH ARCHITECT, JAMES C……. BUILDER”.
William M. Thackeray notes in 1842 that ‘Matron’s accommodation’ was provided for, the picture above right is known as the ‘Nurses’ House” so it is probably that which Thackeray mentions.