1863 – Grand Canal Harbour, St. James’s Gate, Dublin
This is part of the buildings that surround the former spur of the Grand Canal that led to the city Basin and harbour and nearby St James’s Infirmary. The canal’s use was threefold: to supply the city basin with a water supply; to allow Guinness to transport barrels of stout to the midlands via barge; and to supply the Guinness brewery with the water that it required for its brewing process. The building is curved with the outer edge being surrounded by streets and the inner part of the curve originally dropped to the water’s edge. Now in a poor state of repair.
At Inchicore can be seen the path of the original main line to the Grand Canal Harbour. Most of the route of this line now runs along side the Red Luas Line.