Morrison, William Vitruvius (1794 – 1838)
William Vitruvius Morrison was born at Clonmel, County Tipperary, second son of Sir Richard Morrison (1767-1849). Sir Richard headed a successful private architectural practice, with William joining in 1809. In 1821 he made an extensive tour of Europe, including visits to Rome and Paris. Upon his return he built up a successful practice, but later his health broke down. After a second visit to the continent he died in his father’s house at Bray, County Wicklow, on 16 October 1838 and is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.
Morrison designed a number of works with his father, including Baronscourt, Co. Tyrone (from 1835), Kilruddery, Co. Wicklow, Ballyfin, Co. Laois and Fota, Co. Cork.
Notable houses that he designed himself include Clontarf Castle(1836-1827), Glenarm Castle and Barbican (1823-1824), Hollybrooke House Bray (1835) and Mount Stewart, Newtownards, County Down (1825-1828).
His public buildings include CarlowCourt House (1828),Tralee Court House (1828).