Mount Eccles, the home of Sir John Eccles, Lord Mayor in 1710, stood where the Lorreto Convent, North Great George’s Street stands now. The street was originally a driveway leading to the house. The houses were built over a number of years, with the earliest completed in the years 1772-75. Others such as the James Joyce Centre at No.35 were slightly later. No.35 was completed in 1784 by Francis Ryan for Valentine Brown, the Earl of Kenmare, who used it as his townhouse. The plasterwork here was done by Michael Stapleton, one of the finest stuccadores of the time.