1753 – Parnell Square, Dublin
Originally Rutland Square, which referred to the park in the centre and the second earliest of Dublin’s squares. The surrounding streets were known as Charlemont Row, Cavendish Row and Palace Row and Great Britain Street. The central park was named after Charles Manners, fourth Duke of Rutland and Lord Lieutenant 1784-87 who died while in office.
The central square in now mostly taken over by The Rotunda Hospital and the National Garden of Remembrance. The Garden of Remembrance opened in 1966 was designed by the architect Daithi Hanly and features a large sunken pool with mosaics featuring thrown away weapons. Over the pool stands a large bronze called “The Children of Lir” by Oisin Kelly.