Architect: Emmanuel Louis Masqueray
By the early years of the twentieth century, Minneapolis was a flourishing city. The Falls of St. Anthony was instrumental in establishing the city as one of the world’s prominent flour-milling cities. Archbishop John Ireland’s vision for Minnesota included buildings: monuments to the vitality of the Catholic community in both St. Paul and Minneapolis. Both cities would have great buildings: a new cathedral in St. Paul for the archdiocese, a Pro-Cathedral in Minneapolis for the thriving Catholic community. In 1905, Immaculate Conception parish member Mr. L. S. Donaldson donated land worth $45,000 for the new pro-cathedral. It would overlook Loring Park and be strategically located on what was the main thoroughfare, Hennepin Avenue, named for Father Hennepin. By 1914 the Pro-Cathedral’s exterior was completed, just six years after the laying of the cornerstone. It is recognized as one of the finest examples of Beaux-Arts architecture in the country.