Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

16th C. – Taffee’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

carlingford_towerhouse_lge

A sizable fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. It’s close proximity to the harbour would suggest that trade was conducted from here, perhaps on the ground floor with the upper floors reserved for residence. It construction suggests two phases of construction – the main tower built in the early 16th century while the extension to the side occurred later.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1430c – The Mint, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Essentially a fortified three storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the...

Close