Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1860 – Drinking Fountain, St. Georges Colegate, Norwich, Norfolk

Architect: Benest & Newson

0002

Published in The Builder, December 1st 1860. “This fountain is executed in Portland Stone, except the basin, which is in veined marble, supported on an octagon pedestal, and lying in a cluster of waterlilies. The octagonal canopy over the basin, with battlements and finial, has waterlilies carved on its pendants, and the water issues from the centre of a lily. On each side of the octagon pedestal are arched troughs for dogs. Above the marble basin and under the canopy, the following lines are engraven in old English characters on a marble slab: – Wayfaring man, for thee this faucet was given / A channel to imprar the boon of Heaven / Drink, and thank God! and in this water trace / As earnest of his love, and emblem of his grace. Below are initials of the doner and the date: – “JCB 1860″. The height of the fountain to the top of the finial is 9 feet, and the width 5 feet. The canopy projects 1 foot 4 inches from the churchyard wall. The fountain was presented by Mr. J.C. Barnham; designed by Messrs. Benest & Newton, architects; and executed by Mr. Joseph Stanley, mason, of Norwich.”