1860s – The Oak, Dame Street, Dublin



A comfortable Dublin pub now sadly part of the ‘superpub’ next door, The Oak contains a fine mahogany interior that came from an ocean liner, the Mauritania, during a refurbishment in the 1940s. The ship was withdrawn from service in 1934 and its furnishings and fittings were put up for auction. In the 1990s, an extension was built on to the roof, earning the sobriquet “the yoke on the oak”.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com