Architect: E.W. Pugin
Architecturally one of the finest churches in the city, the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866. After an architectural competition in 1859, Pugin was awarded the commission rven though he was not winner of competition. It replaced an older church, built in 1786, which was entered from Carey’s Lane and known as Carey’s Lane Chapel. The proposed spire was never completed. The high altar was designed by George C. Ashlin and executed by Samuel Daly. In 1875 a new pulpit, again designed by Ashlin, and sanctuary stalls were added.