Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1872 – Premiated Design, Wood Green Church, Walsall, Staffordshire

Architect: E.F.C. Clarke

0001

0002

Published in The Building News, April 5th 1872: “WE give this week illustrations of a church about to be erected on a commanding site on the high road between Wednesbury and Walsall. It will consist of nave, with narthex or great western porch, north and south aisles, chancel, with south chancel aisle or transept (for organ), tower and spire, with adjoining vestry. The chancel, which will be divided from the nave by a screen or septum wall, will be provided with sedilia, piscina, Ac, and the foot-pace of the altar is to be seven steps above the level of nave. The south transept affords space for a large organ, and the chancel stalls will accommodate a sufficient choir. The material to be used in the external work is the Hammerwich stone, which is of a dark red colour, and the internal dressing.? will be of Bath stone. The church will have no fixed seats, except in the chancel, but will be seated with movable chairs, suitable spaces of wood flooring being provided where chairs are to be placed. The roof will be covered with local tiles — mottled, brown, and red. The church will accommodate about 480 persons, including clergy and choir. The contractor is Sir. P. Horsman, of Wolverhampton, and the architect Mr. E. Francis Clarke, of 11, Mitre-court Chambers, Temple. London. The design was selected in a limited competition. “