1875 – Ardingly College Chapel, Sussex
Ardingly College is a selective independent co-educational boarding and day school. It was originally founded as St. Saviour’s School, Shoreham in 1858 by Canon Nathaniel Woodard whose aim was to provide education based on sound principle and sound knowledge, firmly grounded in the Christian faith. The site at Shoreham however was never intended to be permanent and Woodard searched across the south-east of England for a suitable permanent location for St Saviour’s School. In 1862 Woodard acquired the 196 acre Saucelands estate at the southern edge of Ardingly village for £6,000. Woodard employed Richard Carpenter as the school’s architect, and the foundation stone at Ardingly was laid on 12 July 1864 by Granville Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl Granville. St Saviour’s School moved to the partially completed site at Ardingly on 14 June 1870 when the new school was officially opened. Carpenter continued designing buildings for the site including the chapel.
Elevations and plan published in The Building News, November 26th 1875.