Architect: Charles A. Barber
When built, this school was described as “away out on the prairie” because it was thought to be so far from the centre of Winnipeg. Yet, it became known as Central School, and eventually Central School No. 1 when, five years later, a second school, designed by Winnipeg architect Charles H. Wheeler and known as Central School No. 2, was built nearby. Central School No. 1 was extensively renovated over the years before being replaced. In 1898, it was replaced by a new structure and renamed Victoria School, with Central School No. 2 being renamed as Albert School.