Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th, but not completed until 1889 after the architect’s death. Simple in plan, with organ loft, nave and chancel beneath one continuous roof contrasting with off-centre tower and spire. The second-last bay of the aisles is carried upwards to make small transepts screened from the nave. Two of the stained glass windows are modelled on the ruins of the old priory in Kilmallock – the 13th century east window inspires the window behind the altar; and the window facing the sacristy is based on a 15th century traceried window in the south transept of the priory.
There is sumptuous interior carving and decoration, despite the present altar’s being made up out of its predecessor’s debris. Here the central pinnacle has been retained as a freestanding tabernacle and a pair of dislodged marble angels stand guard on either side, above the window. Fine Venetian mosaics in the chancel, under direction of Ashlin, glass by Mayer and Earley.