Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1894 – Stock Exchange Building, Chicago

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: Adler & Sullivan

Widely considered an architectural masterpiece, the thirteen-story building incorporated Sullivan’s signature ornamentation thatcombined geometric forms with expressions of natural foliage.

The Stock Exchange was demolished in 1972, and is often credited with starting the city’s preservation movement. Both the entry arch and the interior of the Trading Room were preserved by the Art Institute. The entry arch is now sited in a park.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1911 – Continental & Commercial National Bank Building, Chicago

Architect: D.H. Burnham & Co. Former headquarters of the Continental & Commercial National Bank. Now a hotel after an expensive...

Close