Published in The Building News, August 28th 1903: “This building, which willshortly be erected upon an excellent site in Deansgate and Bootle-street Manchester, will be composed of buff terracotta and 2in stick bricks. The Union will occupy half the ground floor, half the basement, and will have offices and a board room on the first floor as well as a large hall on the top floor. This hall covers most of the building area and will be lit at the sides and by lantern lights at the top. A carefully considered system of heating and ventilation will obtain. The basement will be let as a restaurant.” A first premiated design in competition for the Lancashire and Cheshire Band of Hope and Temperance Union.