1911 – City Hall, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: William M. Dodd & E.C. Hopkins


Now dwarfed by the newer city hall sited next to it, currently used as the offices of the mayor and alderman, while the other functions of the city are carried out in the 1985 Calgary Municipal Building. The building’s steeply-pitched tile roof, stone-gabled dormers, central clock tower, semi-circular arched main entrance and extensive decoration in the Romanesque Revival style made it an imposing visual symbol of community progress. Its design and finish was a bold declaration of the city’s progress to date and its faith in its potential for future prosperity.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com