The congregation was founded in 1838, and over the next 30 years, the congregational membership grew and prospered, so that in 1868 a new white brick church was built. That building continues as part of the church structure. With a congregation of 600 in 1911 it was necessary to build a larger structure, which is still today’s sanctuary. The resulting building could seat between 600 and 700 and featured an imposing, flat-topped square bell tower high above the north entrance. The tower was removed in 1950.