1958 – Finnish Church, Rotherhithe, London

Architect: Cyrill Sjostrom Mardall


The London church and mission was first established in 1882, when the Finnish port chaplain who had been sent to Hull in 1880 was relocated south because of the level of work demanded in London. The present church building was opened in 1958 and refurbished in 2006; its distinctive architecture is recognised as a Grade II listed building. The architect was Cyrill Mardall-Sjöström, who had designed a new church building before the war for a plot in Southwark Park, but this plan had to be dropped.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com