“These designs were placed first by a professional assessor in a recent open competition promoted by the corporation. The carrying out of the work is being delayed pending the settlement by the corporation of financial arrangements to enable them to carry out these and other important works. It is contemplated that early in the New Year instructions will be issued to proceed with the carrying out of the works. The concert hall is entirely underground, being approached by a sloping way lift, wide for Bath chairs, &c. A staircase and hydraulic lift are also provided. Staircases are also provided on the face of the cliff communicating with the lavatories, provided for men and women as public conveniences. The concert hall is on the lower floor, 117ft. by G3ft. , and about 30ft. high, with large gallery. Cloak- rooms and lavatories for women and men are provided in connection therewith. In order to minimise the appearance of lowness, the hall has been divided into a wide centre aisle and two narrower side ones by means of light iron columns and arcading. This treatment has the practical advantage from a constructional point of view by rendering the use of heavy girders unnecessary. The plans, as published, explain themselves. The estimated cost is about C16,000. Messrs. Ardron, Dawson, and Howell, of West- minster, are the architects.” Published in The Building News, December 8 1899.