Constructed for Edmond de la Poer, whose family has held land here from Norman times. Construction commencing in 1863, and was completed in 1866, to designs by Samuel Ussher Roberts. Roberts was a great-grandson of architect John Roberts, and a successful architect and engineer, eventually becoming Commissioner of Public Works. One of the finest Elizabethan Revival houses in Ireland, the entrance facade is dominated by the square tower with attached polygonal turret. Total cost of construction was approx. £10,000. The house remained in the de la Poer family until the late 1980s.