Founded in 1854 as the Oxford Diocesan Seminary to train graduates from Oxford and Cambridge. It quickly became known as Cuddesdon College. The college buildings, most of them designed by G.E. Street, were built opposite the Bishop’s Palace. Traditionally “Cuddesdon”, as it is commonly known, was in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England. Now known as Ripon College Cuddesdon – it was formed from an amalgamation in 1975 of Cuddesdon College and Ripon Hall. Illustration published in The Building News August 6th 1875.