1748 – Royal Charter School, Clontarf
In 1733 King George III granted a charter that provided protestant education for the poor. The chartered school system attempted to educate children in the scriptures as well as teaching them about industry, husbandry and loyalty to the crown. The Clontarf Charter School was built in 1748 and opened the following year accommodating 100 boys. The school closed in the early 19th century and was turned into a bathing house and became known as Kingscourt House. Later demolished. Image published in History of the City of Dublin, 1818.