Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1874 – School, Keyingham, Yorkshire

Architect: Robert Clamp

0004

0004

From The Building News: “The new schools are situated in the centre of an irregular plot of ground facing the Salter-road, in the outskirts of the village. They are to accommodate 110 children, viz., 75 boys and girls, and 35 infants, with separate entrance and exit for boys. A board-room for meetings forms part of the arrangement, and a safe is also provided for. The teacher’s residence has three bedrooms. The buildings are faced with white bricks from Wallingfen, with red stock bricks for dressings. Very little stone is used, and there is no plaster in the schoolrooms ; but the sides are boarded to a height of 4ft. 6in. from the fioor-line. The upper compartments of all the windows are made to open, and channels are carried up by the side of the smoke-flues for extracting foul air. Suitable outbuilding.s are provided in the rear of the schools. The clock was the gift of the Chairman of the Board, and strikes the hours. Cost, including boundary walls and gates, but exclusive of land, £1,35.5. It is thought that this might be considerably lessened in a district where bricks are obtainable at an easy distance. Mr. Robert Clamp was appointed architect soon after commencing practice, after a competition with others, last year. Messrs. Atkinson and Son, of Sproatley, are the general contractors for the works, Mr. F. Gray, of the same place, being the joiner employed. “