Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1836 – Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Architect: James & George Pain



The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836, replacing the earlier bridge which was also alongside King John’s Castle. The architect James Pain had surveyed the earlier medieval bridge of 14 arches in 1814, and had proposed a replacement. This wasn’t carried out until it was destroyed by storms in 1833.

Read previous post:
Lyric Theatre sets scene for new Belfast

Belfast's imposing Lagan river-fronted, reinstated Lyric Theatre was officially opened last night with playwright Brian Friel offering what he called...