The architect of the Westmoreland Lock Hospital is uncertain. The archives of the Irish Architectural Archive mention drawings by Francis Johnston for wings and rear additions. There is also a suggestion of work by Edward Parke. Originally a hospital for venereal disease, it treated both sexes, but later almost exclusively women. In 1949, the crumbling hospital building was declared unsafe and the hospital was closed shortly afterwards with the building demolished.