1820 – Rathmines Castle, Rathmines, Dublin

0001

0001

0001

Described in Lewis as “Among the most conspicuous are Rathmines Castle, the residence of J. T. Purser, Esq., a castellated mansion in tastefully disposed grounds”. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, September 14, 1833, as “It presents a very antiquated appearance, round Norman towers, connected by curatin walls, embattled parapets, mullioned windows with label and hood mouldings, oriells, and machicolations, all speak of other days, but it is only an imitation, although a happy one. It was erected, or the original house enlarged and altered to its present appearance, not many years since by Colonel Wynne.” Demolished and replaced by the Church of Ireland Teacher’s Training College and Kildare Place School, which moved from Kildare Place in 1969.