The architect’s second “pot church”, so-called because the main building material used in the construction of the church is terracotta. Terracotta is used as the facing material for both the interior and the exterior of the church. It is made to imitate stone, even to the use of masons’ marks.
The terracotta for the body of this church was supplied, by the Ladyshore Coal and TerraCotta Company, which was owned by Sharpe’s brother-in-law, John Fletcher. However there was a dispute with Fletcher about the costs; Fletcher supplied the terracotta for the body of the church, but the material for the spire was provided by a different manufacturer. The terracotta for the spire proved to be inferior to Fletcher’s material, and the spire had to be replaced in 1912.
Designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. Illustreation published in The Building News, June 9th 1876.