The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the family decided in the 1820’s to take up permanent residence on the estate and had a ‘handsome and spacious mansion, tastefully situated on the border of the lake and backed by an extensive plantation’ constructed to the design of Dublin architect J.B. Keane. They were also responsible for several improvements within Ballybay town including the construction of Christ Church and a new Market House. It’s a fine two-storey building with the upper floor previously in use as a courthouse, accessible from the rising street adjacent.
Photograph copyright and courtesy of Kenneth Allen. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License