Architect: James Bunstone Bunning
Originally constructed by the City of London at a cost of £92,650. Holloway was opened in 1852 as a mixed prison, but due to growing demand for space for female prisoners became female-only in 1903. Bunning copied the gatehouse from Warwick Castle. There were 436 cells, 283 for males, 60 for females, 62 for juveniles, 18 refractory cells, 14 reception cells and 14 workrooms. In the period 1881-1882, B&C wings were extended to provide 340 new cells and in 1883-1884 a new hospital wing was constructed. Completely rebuilt between 1971-1985 on the same site.