Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an integrated, rational and graduated public education system based upon a central school and primary feeders. The original building, a finely proportioned classical design, was remodelled in 1890 to include a steeply pitched roof, round-arched windows and a heightened central tower. It was remodelled in 1934 when the clock was installed.