1867 – New Public buildings at Penzance, Cornwall

Architect: John Matthews

0009

According to Polsue, Joseph. A complete parochial history of the county of Cornwall; William Lake, Truro & John Camden Hotten, London: 1867–72., “The chief attractive feature of Penzance, and the just pride of its polished inhabitants, are the S. John’s Public Buildings; these were erected in 1867-8, from the designs of Mr. John Matthews, the borough surveyor, and at a cost of about £12000. This elegant structure, built in the Italian style, comprises a main body and side wings; to the former, which embodies the chief entrance, there is access by a noble flight of granite steps. The frontage is wholly built of fine granite ashlar of the best description, and protected by handsome and substantial iron railing. The internal arrangement is admirably adapted for the several purposes for which the buildings were intended;—S. John’s Hall, for general purposes; a Guildhall; a County Court hall; local Board-room; lecture and music hall; a Masonic hall; a natural history Museum; the public Library, which comprises about 12000 volumes; news room; chess club; Jury and Council rooms; and police and other offices. The west wing is appropriated to the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall, its museum, laboratories, and library.”

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com