1869 – Columbia Market & Dwellings, London

Architect: Henry Darbishire

0797

0802080208020802

Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market, by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts for 400 stalls. However it was never a success as the traders preferred selling outdoors. Prompted by Charles Dickens, she also built a separate U-shaped building nearby known as Columbia Dwellings, of several storeys, with a three-storey Gothic arch built into the brickwork of the central section. The market closed in 1886, after use as warehouses and small workshops. The building was demolished between 1958 and 1961,

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com