Designed by architect Timothy Hevey of Belfast in an early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists principally of a nave, with two side aisles and dividing arches. A fine square tower and spire were included in the original building, a more simpler spire being actually constructed. The main entrance to the church was also moved to a recessed door located at the base of the tower with some other changes from the design illustrated. After a period of two years in construction, the church was completed at a cost of almost £17,000. The foundation stone was laid on 27th October 1871, with the church officially opened and dedicated on 28th September 1873.