1879 – Former Military Stables, Arbour Hill, Dublin



Twin rows of cavalry stables to the rear of Collins Barracks with a cobbled central lane. Fine external stonework as the resident engineer, Major Hart, had a preference for cut stone. But when the building programme ran over budget, the War Office exerted its own preference for red brick, which was less expensive and was used for many new structures. Consequently some of the later stables are finished in brick.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com