Architect: A.O. Watkins & Sons
“These villas, now nearly completed, occupy a fine site overlooking the Bristol Channel. The material for the walls and angle quoins is a hard, gritty, red stone, quarried on the estate, with freestone dressings to windows and doors. Bands of red Ruabon bricks are also introduced. The dining-room and kitchen offices occupy the front on the basement story, which from the nature of the site is entirely above ground. The roof is covered with Broseley red tiles, nailed and bedded in mortar, the high gales of the district greatly testing a roof of this kind. The tiles have a lap varying from 3 to 5 inches, and this work and the plastering has been carried out by Mr. S. Newick. The other contractors •were — Plumbing and glazing, Mr. S. Hanse ; Mr. J. Jenkins, masonry ; and Mr. Coomer, the carpenters and joiners’ work, all of Newport. ” Designed for John Mason Esq., perspective view & ground plan published in The Building News, July 25 1879.