1879 – Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: David Bryce

0033

The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, constructed between 1870 and 1879 provided an unprecedented 600 beds, arranged in eight three-storey pavilions with one large ward on each floor. At the time of its opening, the Illustrated London News described the new infirmary as the largest in the United Kingdom and probably the best planned. No longer in use as a hospital after the Royal built a new hospital on a different site, the buildings future is uncertain.

Latest News

September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30
September 21, 2016: Grafton Architects to receive IDI President’s Choice Award


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com