1881 – Bailiff’s Cottage at West Stratton, Hampshire

Architect: Ernest Newton


Designed for the Earl of Northbrook. Perspective View & Elevations published in The Building News, July 29th 1881. “This Is the first of a group of cottages to be built in the village of West Stratton, the seat of the Earl of Northbrook. The external walls are of unsquared flints, with the mortar-joints brushed over to give a good texture ; the quoins and jambs and heads of windows are in red brick, pointed in mortar. The half-timber work is all of English oak. The roof is covered with red Broseley tiling. The work has been faithfully and ably done by Mr. Russell White, of Basingstoke, from the designs of Mr. Ernest Newton, of 14, Hart-street, Bloomsbury-square.”

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com