Architect: William Waddington
The original building was designed by William Waddington, who was a local Victorian architect, responsible for many of the buildings in Burnley town centre. St Matthew’s contained some notable stained glass by both Kempe and Burne Jones. Electric lighting was installed in 1924, but this was to be very problematicleading to a fire in Christmas Day 1927 which destroyed the interior. A replacement church by Austin and Paley was constructed on the site.
Interior view published in The Building News, June 3rd 1881.