1882 – St. Lukes Art Workshops, Myrtle St., Liverpool
Perspective view including ground plan as published in The Building News, June 23rd 1882. Designed by Henry Summers, this building became the studio and offices of Norbury, Upton & Paterson, architectural carvers. On the right of the ground floor there was originally an entryway to the stone yard at the rear, but this has now been converted into two doorways. The statue is of St Luke by the carvers themselves. The griffin combines the lion and the eagle, the most powerful beasts on land and in air and is used to denote divine power. The winged ox is a common representation of the disciple Luke.