1897 – Bonded Warehouse, 44 Washington St., Glasgow, Scotland
Built between 1896 and 1907 and at that time was claimed to be the biggest bonded warehouse in the world. It is actually two buildings by different architects. The north section (1897) is by A.V. Gardner and the south by H.E. Clifford.
“This building, which will add a striking feature to the commercial architecture of Glasgow, is at present in course of erection in Washington-street, for Messrs. W. P. Lowrie and Co., Ltd., the well-known firm of bonded warehouse proprietors and storekeepers. The warehouse occupies an area of 1 ,S25 square yards, with a frontage to Washiogton-street of 89ft., and is six stories in height. On the street floor are the blending and bottling departments, washing room, loading banks. Excise office, &c. The remaining flats will be used for storage in bond. The Washington-street front is built with red Corncockle stone, and the north wall with terracotta hrick from the works of the Scottish Terracotta and Metallic Co., Ltd., with Corncockle stone dressings. The architect is Mr. Alexander Gardner, 209, St. Vincent-street, Glasgow.” Published in The Building News, April 8 1898.